Thursday, May 31, 2007

Crepes


Growing up my mother had a crepe cookbook. I never saw her use it, but one day I decided to try making crepes myself. For a while after I was addicted to making them and filling with a variety of items I found in the pantry/refrigerator. My favorite being mandarin oranges and whipped cream! Recently I decided to look for some crepe recipes to try some new filling ideas.

I also did a little "research" on wikipedia:

A crêpe (pronounced kreyp or krĕp) is a type of very thin cooked pancake usually made from wheat flour. The word, like the pancake itself, is of French origin, deriving from the Latin crispa, meaning "curled".

Common fillings for meal crêpes include: cheese, asparagus, ham, spinach, eggs, ratatouille, mushrooms, or various meat products.
When they are sweet, they can be a dessert. They can be filled with various other sweet items: jam, melted chocolate, dairy, ice cream, Nutella , bananas, berries, nuts, poppyseeds, cinnamon etc. Popular sweet toppings include sugar (granulated or powdered), maple syrup, lemon juice, whipped cream, fruit spreads, sliced soft fruits, etc.

A more elaborate French and Belgian crêpe is the Crêpe Suzette, a crêpe with lightly grated orange peel and liqueur (usually Grand Marnier) which is subsequently lit.