Monday, February 19, 2007

Week 2 in Review

Manicotti - Turned out wonderful. The cheese mixture tasted excellent and wasn't too overbearing. The prosciutto was a nice addition, but could easily be skipped to cut costs. Also if I was just cooking for 2 I would half this recipe, possibly even quarter it, since it makes 16 manicottis. With ate 2 each.

Panna Cotta - If you like vanilla pudding you will love this panna cotta. Such a nice smooth, creamy texture and delicate flavor. I served it with a strawberry sauce (strawberries and sugar).

Osso Buco - Great dish! Not sure what else to say - a must try. Could also use beef shanks if you don't eat veal. I used a chardonnay, but one that wasn't too oaky.

Saffron Risotto - This risotto was a nice accompaniment with the osso buco, but would also be a great dish on it's own. I saw on Martha Stewart that leftover risotto can be mixed with eggs and breadcrumbs to make patties. The patties can be fried then served over a salad for lunch the following day. Still need to try that one.

Buttermilk Biscuits - Great texture, but too much salt for my liking. I don't use too much salt in my cooking because I have high blood pressure, so next time I would only put 1/2 tsp salt. Besides that salt (which might be the perfect level for some), these were great biscuits. And easy to make if you use a food processor to cut the butter and flour.